I confess, I’m a blend girl. I think a blended wine offers more layers and flavors to a wine. It also gives the opportunity for winemakers to work their magic. Going to BLEND on September 16th from 3-6pm will give you the opportuity to try quite a few Woodinville winery blends. The event takes place at Bell Harbor International Conference Center. You will have the opportunity to taste Washington blends from over 40 wineries all paired with delicious cuisine from Columbia Hospitiality’s hotels. Tickets are available here.
I asked some of our Woodinville winemakers who are participating about their feelings about making blends.
“In many instances a solo varietal, vintage or vineyard cannot produce a multi-dimensional wine. By blending any combination of these components allows wine a better opportunity to show at its’ best. Every glass of EOTN or Haystack Needle reflects our search for the passion and zest of life and the art of blending!” - Bob & Lauren Bullock, Eye of the Needle Winery
“Although we sometimes produce single variety wines, blends are so much more interesting for both the winemaker, and the consumer.” – Jeff Jirka, Davenport Cellars
“I blend because blending wine adds another whole level to the winemaking process. It is the most artistic part of the process and in many ways the most rewarding. I love to blend” – Brian Carter, Brian Carter Cellars
More about BLEND:
Join us for the third annual BLEND: The World’s Best Wine, Food & Places – the only event that showcases Washington’s hottest blends from over 40 top producers in Washington State. Guests will enjoy sampling and celebrating the Northwest’s best wine blends, paired with delectable cuisine from Columbia Hospitality’s fabulous hotels such as Salish Lodge & Spa, Kenwood Inn and Spa and Rainbow Ranch Lodge all on the spectacular Seattle waterfront at Bell Harbor International Conference Center.
Created with the purpose of helping people fully enjoy and understand how blended wines are created, BLEND features:
- Barrel blending stations featuring Washington winemakers pouring samples that comprise one of their signature blends
- International tasting tables featuring blends from Argentina, France, Italy and Spain courtesy of Wine World
- Bubble Lounge featuring sparkling wine, champagne and oysters courtesy of Taylor Shellfish Farms
- Wine blends from 40 top producers in Washington State
- Gourmet cuisine from award-winning chefs at Salish Lodge & Spa, Friday Harbor House, Kenwood Inn and Spa and more
- Delicious treats from FROST Doughnuts, KIND Snacks, Sartori Cheese, Smitten: Artisan Truffles, Taylor Shellfish Farms and Espresso Martinis by Fonté Coffee and Project V Distillery!
- Opportunities to win getaways and culinary experiences in the Pacific Northwest and Sonoma at Columbia Hospitality’s fabulous hotels and resorts
- Commemorative BLEND wine glass
- Limitless opportunities to mingle with wine makers and wine lovers
- The BLEND Awards – winners announced at the event